Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Week After...

We survived vacation.

It appears we hit the perfect week - the northeast was frozen solid the week before we were there, and they got hit again the day after we left. Thank goodness!!! (It was actually pretty warm while we were there - I even went running a few times and didn't die!)

Now we're slogging through the first week back. You know that week - everyone is overtired and off schedule, kids have completely forgotten the whole school routine, there's no food in the house... Good times!

Of course, the rest of the world is rude enough to not slow down to let us catch up. Baby Girl had gymnastics practice the first day (and today), Baby Boy has the usual gymnastics practice, plus his Little League assessments (we missed the regular one because they rescheduled it - after we had already booked our trip... so he's the only kid getting assessed today. Hope that doesn't make him too nervous!), then this coming weekend is a doozy.

Saturday, we're all in the SoCal Spartan Race. (If you're not familiar with this series, check out the insanity at http://www.spartanrace.com/.) The husband and I race with some friends in the mid-morning, then the kids are doing the junior one in early afternoon. My only goal, honestly, is to cross the finish line on my feet, and in time to be there for the kids' start. I'd also like to run their course with them (they're still so little, even though they think they're tough and I'm sure they're actually capable of doing it all by themselves), but I don't know if I'll be allowed?! (Or in any condition to do so?!)  I have to admit... I'm scared. Running 3 miles, no problem. Some of those obstacles, holy hell.  Ack!

Oh, then... Sunday. Birthday party for a neighbor kid in the morning, and then Baby Boy has a gymnastics meet in the evening. It's a big one. We definitely wouldn't have signed him up for the Spartan Race if we knew the schedule at the time... But he's insistent that he do the race. And his gymnastics coach is totally freaking out about him getting hurt. Good times, people, good times.

Also found out this morning that I'm supposed to bring a 'treat' to work tomorrow. I can't wrap my head around actually baking tonight, so I'm leaning toward salsa and chips. I make this salsa all the time to bring with to parties, and people LOVE it.  Hey, in fact, you might love it! Here's the recipe:

14oz can diced tomatoes
10oz can Rotel (the "original" flavor one)
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno (seed it for less spicy, leave the seeds for more heat), diced
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
handful of cilantro
lime juice (1 lime worth, or a splash if you have to use bottled)

Throw it all in the blender, pulse til you get the desired consistency. I leave mine in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors meld, but you can certainly serve it immediately!

It's what I think of as 'restaurant style', in terms of flavor/consistency/look:



Let me know what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment