Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Running in the Cold?!

You may have heard - most of the country is in some hellish deep freeze right now. YOU are probably in some hellish deep freeze right now. And I am sorry about that, my friends, I really am.  It probably won't make you feel any better, but it was 47 when I went running this morning. That's really pretty damn cold for a wimpy Southern Californian!!!

But. Next week we head to the northeast for a week of visiting the families. I'm in a really good rhythm with working out right now, and I don't want to take the whole week off, but I can't even fathom how I might be able to run outside. It's 6 there right now. Six freakin' degrees.  That's not accounting for the windchill.

So help me out, friends of the interwebs. You all definitely have more experience than I do at cold weather. What do I wear? Lots of layers? One heavy jacket over a long sleeved tee? Tights under yoga pants?? Should I wrap a scarf over my mouth? Do you wear your regular running shoes? How long is it safe to be outside?

(I promise I'm not completely clueless about cold - I grew up out there. But I wasn't a runner, I played indoor team sports. So I have no idea if it's dangerous to run below a certain temp, how to prepare for it, etc.)

Also -what are some good alternate workouts that you like? I'm happy to do some cardio/circuit type stuff, but it has to be something I can do in a house with no equipment...

No comments:

Post a Comment