Thursday, January 9, 2014

Office Lunch Sabotage

I pack my own lunch to take to work every day. (And a bunch of snacks, too, since I'm pretty much always hungry!) I try to keep it fairly healthy. I figure it's more than worth the time it takes each morning, since it allows me to control nutrition & calories, and also saves quite a bit of money over going out to eat.

The problem is that at least once a week, there's a lunch at work. Either a meeting that's scheduled during lunch time so they order in, or some lunch 'event' like someone's birthday or something and everyone is going out. I never quite know what to do. The lunch meeting is a little easier - it depends on who is in it, but I usually feel fairly comfortable with either eating before and telling them I'm all set, or bringing my packed lunch to the meeting and eating that. (But it's hard to stick to that, since they usually order something - like pizza - that smells a heck of a lot more appetizing than what I brought!)

The eating out one is SO hard for me, though... I don't feel like I can decline every one. Then I'm not part of the team, folks think I've got an issue with someone, whatever. But so many of the places we go, it's nearly impossible to find something healthy on the menu!  This week, we went to a nearby chain Mexican place. First, everyone is mowing on chips and salsa. So hard to keep my hands out of the bowl that was right in front of me, tantalizing me with its delicious greasy salty smell!  Second, the only - and I mean ONLY - item on the menu listed as 'fit and healthy' (or whatever they call it) was one salad. They had 3 or 4 salads, but the other three didn't make the healthy choice cut. (How do they make a salad bad for you???!!) So I ordered that, and then was so jealous as I watched everyone else dig into chile rellenos, chimichangas, etc.

I think that maybe next time, I'll eat a snack right before we go, so I'm not so hungry to begin with. What else can I do, though? I survived this week, but my willpower is not always so strong!

2 comments:

  1. Well hi there. I saw your posts on Roni's blog and decided to click your link. We have a lot in common. Not that I am an expert by ANY means but my suggestion to you is to order exactly what you want...whatever it is and then eat it very slowly enjoying every stinking bite and think about each bite and drink lots of water and have some chips but do it all very mindfully. Then take most of it in a takeout box and toss it after you get home. You enjoy what you REALLY want and you don't feel deprived.

    Good luck with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you came by! If we have lots in common, I look forward to hearing more from you! :) I like your suggestion to eat slowly and enjoy, but not sure I'll have the willpower not to eat the whole darn thing! But if I were to put it in a takeout container, I'm sure one of the starving horde (kids, husband, dogs) would be willing to handle the rest of it for me! I'll try that next time and let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete