Saturday, October 20, 2012

Beef Tangine

I woke up today thinking about Beef Tangine.

And then I remembered I had promised to post that recipe.

Well, today is the perfect day for such a dinner. Beef Tangine lends itself to fall - warm, comforting, fragrant. 

And easy. If you're like me, Saturday is full of soccer and laundry and errands and house cleaning. While entertaining the monsters. So this is perfect!

 Beef Tangine

You will need:
 
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lb beef shoulder roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes (I've used about every cut there is - they all seem to come out tender and flavorful!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, quartered
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups cubed (about 1" size) peeled butternut squash (it's about 1 lb) 



Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef and toss well to coat.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30-60 seconds, til fragrant, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 more minutes. Then add squash; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until squash is tender.(This takes about 20-30 minutes, in my experience.)

I like to serve mine over couscous. A couple times, when I've discovered I'm out of couscous, I've added a bit more broth and served it with crusty bread, more like a stew.

Either way, it's always amazing.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment